8/29/08

A Major brag

I have to brag on Major. I justwent out to the mailbox to get the mail and took Major just on leash. I like taking him when I do things like this because the contrast on the driveway is terrible and you definitely need either the cane or the dog to work it without getting hurt. About the time I was getting to the end of the driveway, two cars whizzed past us and he stopped right on a dime like he was taught. I really love that too. We then crossed the street and turned up toward the mailbox. I then told him to find it and that is where he really shone. Southeeastern doesn't teach leash guiding, but I have taught him where the mailbox is and he will do it on or off leash. He took him right in front of it and then turned toward it and stopped allowing me to reach out and find it.
I really love his quiet confidence while working either in harness or on leash. He is really laid back and that was definitely what I was looking for in my guide dog. He is farily slow and soft, but that is what I was wanting and I got it and more.
I hope that we are together for quite a while and hopefully I will not need another one for at least 10 years. Thank you Major.

No comments: